Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Diablo III Barbarian - WIP 5


First of all, I just got back from the Illustration Master Class and to say I had the time of my life would be a huge understatement. I met so many wonderful people and got such good instruction and advice it's hard to describe it right now. Plus it's late and I need to go to bed. But here's some more progress on the barbarian while I wait for my art supplies to ship back to me.

I received some informative feedback from none other than the great Boris Vallejo. I could barely contain myself as he looked over my shoulder, offering advice! Doug Alexander (an art director from Blizzard!) also gave me a great critique. It was his idea to smooth out the left side of the barbarian's figure (his right) into one smooth motion line. This gives him so much more energy compared to the previous version. I wanted to move the axe over to the other side, but the hand position just doesn't make sense that way. I'll probably drop its opacity or something to push it back and keep that smooth action curve.

I still need to do a lot to the foreground; populate the area with more hellspawn, etc. Mount Arreat is looking quite good, I think. I'd like to finish this up in the next couple of days so I can jump back into completing my IMC painting.

No comments: