Thursday, August 21, 2008

A similar Wed-nes-day in Feb-ru-ary

There are certain words in the English language that I still struggle with. I've always used grammar reasonably well (see?) and I've always been a good speller, but some words continue to trip me up, and always will.

Some days I just can't seem to get a particular word right, like baloon balloon. Does it have one L or two? Even now I can't get it right. Carreer career is another one. One day I managed to convince myself that the word "similar" was in fact not a word. I kept saying it over and over, and it just did not sound right. For an entire week I avoided using the word for fear of embarrassing myself.

To this day, whenever I write the word Wednesday I have to phonetically separate it: "Wed-Nes-Day", I'll say to myself. Same thing with the word February. I am unaware of the origins of these words, but I hope the person(s) who coined them centuries ago died horribly.

And if I ever have to write "Wednesday, February 12th is Career Day! There will be complementary complamen comp free balloons" I shall run screaming from the room.

No comments: